The Institute for Human Rights and Development in Africa (IHRDA) is seeking to recruit an Executive Director with vision and strategic thinking, experience in working with the African human rights system and management strengths.
IHRDA is a pan-African human rights organisation, based in Banjul, The Gambia, promoting the effective use of African human rights instruments to protect rights in Africa. IHRDA conducts human rights litigation and training, offering technical expertise to human rights advocates in the use of international and comparative human rights law and national and international courts and tribunals. It has four main programmes in Africa: Legal Advocacy, Capacity Building, Research and Publication and Strengthening the African Human Rights System.
The Executive Director will provide strategic direction and professional leadership, sustaining and building on IHRDA’s unique contribution to the human rights movement in Africa, and developing a team of professional staff. The Executive Director will be responsible for managing the programmatic, development, communications, financial and other organisational objectives of IHRDA. The Executive Director will report to the Board of Directors and her/his responsibilities lie in the following areas:
- Leadership, strategic direction and fundraising
- Programme Development and Direction
- Management, Administration and Organisation
- Public Relations and Advocacy
The ideal candidate will have:
- A high degree of familiarity with and commitment to strengthening the African human rights system, in particular the jurisprudence and procedures of the African Commission on Human and Peoples’ Rights (ACHPR), the African Committee on the Rights and Welfare of the Child (ACERWC), the African Court on Human and Peoples’ Rights (ACrtHPR) and the Regional Economic Courts (RECs);
- Expertise advising individuals and organisations who wish to bring communications/cases before the above bodies;
- Ability to lead training sessions on the African human rights system, specifically on litigation;
- Strong organisational skills;
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and work collaboratively internally and externally;
QUALIFICATIONS AND LANGUAGE SKILLS
- A degree in law, with specialization in international human rights law;
- A legal practitioner’s qualification is highly desirable;
- 7+ years’ experience in management, administration, fundraising and recognised leadership in the non-profit sector, preferably at senior level;
- Excellent writing, editing and speaking skills in English/or French and working knowledge of the other.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- Salary: Attractive
- Location: Banjul, The Gambia, with regular travels, mainly in Africa
- Contract Duration: Five years
- Working Days and Hours: 8.30 to 17.00 Mondays to Thursdays and 08.30 to 13.30 Fridays
- A six-month probation period will be included in the contract.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send (in English or French) a Curriculum Vitae; a motivation letter, an unedited writing sample of 5 to 20 pages and a list three references who are not related to the candidate, with their full contact details.
Further information is available at www.ihrda.org or contact
PO Box 1896, Banjul, The Gambia.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org , cc. email@example.com
Closing date: 01st March 2012
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
IHRDA is committed to equal opportunities. Women candidates are encouraged to apply.
for more details, see http://www.ihrda.org/2012/01/vacancy-%E2%80%93-executive-director/